Sunday, August 25, 2019

Desiderata : My Reflection


     Happiness can have different meanings to different people and it's usually because of their different experiences. Like a human being I am, I also have my own point of view on happiness. Which is something I didn't have until it was asked. Then, I have realized that to me, happiness is a powerful feeling that many and probably all of us wish to have. One's happiness can inspire, teach, heal, fix and many more for others. Happiness makes a person actually live, instead of, just to exist.

        The poem taught and made me realize many things. It gave a me a lot of lessons but there is one that I feel like I need to learn the most. It is to stop comparing myself to other people. "If you compare yourself to others, you may become vain or bitter, for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself." I, honestly have perceived this already. Comparing yourself to others doesn't have to be demoralizing. It's all up to how we react to it. We can compare ourselves to people who are successful and good. And, we can choose to take this as a challenge, motivation or inspiration. Unfortunately, that's not how I'm taking it. Because of this, I have been bitter and it has done me no good at all. Whenever I compare myself to someone else, I get discouraged which also leads me to being undetermined and pessimistic. When I feel this way, it's like I'm throwing all my hopes and dreams away.

         The poem has helped me with some of my personal struggles by bringing me to realization. I realized that I must only focus on the things that actually matter and will help me grow up to my greatest potential. I must learn to accept that all of us will excel in different things, become greater than somebody in this and lesser in that. Looking at or choosing to be in the bright, optimistic side of life is a root of happiness. Negativity makes our dreams seem impossible. And I know that most of us experience happiness through achieving them. Now, I know, I should focus on learning and becoming a better individual.

            In life, many things are inevitable. A gloomy side of it is one. It is best to put our attention on the bright side because if we don't do so, we will never be happy. All of us will have our ups and downs, bright and dark days. But at least, we have choices and it is either to stay in the dark or go through all hardships and continue living life positively and choose to be happy.  

3 comments: